Since starting Girls Club in January 2013, I’ve met more women than ever before in my adult life, and recently I’ve been thinking about how some of these women have really stood out – they’ve been different somehow, and I’ve been trying to articulate why. As far as I’ve formed a theory, it goes like this: if there was a Woman OS, it’s like most women (for centuries!) have been running OS 1, but some have OS 2.
The most recent example was when a woman came up to me and said, “Hi, are you Fox? Do you run Girls Club? I want to speak to you!” – and as she talked to me about her business and her idea for a project, she was so straight-forward about it: she knew and accepted that she was skilled, and she knew and accepted that I was skilled, and it was a conversation without insecurities, ego, judgment, competition, playing-the-game niceties or self-effacement. It was healthy and refreshing, and I thought, “This is what I’ve been noticing – here’s the perfect example – she’s different, somehow!”
Features of Woman OS 2:
- Straight forward
- Knows and accepts her skills, and can promote them and be proud of them
- Not concerned with how someone else will judge her in OS 1 ways (appearance, status, etc) – only in OS 2 ways (skills, smarts, evolution & adaption, respectfulness, etc)
- No judging or speaking negatively about other women unless for constructive reasons
- No mind games with other women
- Not interested in gossip
- Healthy, upfront confrontation: if she has a problem with you, she will address it, rather than acting one way to your face and then another way behind your back
I don’t know, for now, how to explain it better than that. It’s fascinating though.